The German Toilet Organization (GTO) is a non-profit NGO, which was founded in Berlin in the October of 2005. The GTO is a network of people, who combine their experience from different professions to work towards common goals. The GTO's office can be found at Niedstraße 16 in Berlin, Schöneberg.
To protect the environment and improve public health by raising awareness of, and providing people with, clean and sustainable toilet and wastewater treatment systems.
- Public campaigns and the use of innovative communications tools regarding toilet and excreta management systems
- Raising awareness and spreading knowledge worldwide (as a partner of the UN) through presentations, events, speeches and discussion
- Capacity building for fellow employees of other NGO´s (mostly in Germany)
- Projects centred on the sustainable improvement of toilet and excreta management systems with a special focus on schools (e.g. our school project in Zambia)
- A school programme in Germany to raise awareness among students of existing sanitation problems in their school and in developing countries
The GTO started its work with projects to improve toilet and excreta management systems in Zambia, Sri Lanka and Indonesia.
Since 2005 the GTO has hit the headlines with its worldwide campaign “Sanitation is Dignity”, a project aimed at smashing the "toilet taboo" and focusing minds on the serious issue of toilet and excreta management systems. 40% of the worlds population lives without primary sanitation accommodation; hardly a joking matter.
As part of our educational work, the GTO disseminates information about sanitation in schools. We have also developed a German-specific programme aimed at raising awareness among students of existing sanitation problems in their school, and linking this to the experience of people in many developing countries.
The GTO was an official partner of the UN during the “International Year of Sanitation”-Program in 2008, and is supported by UN Water